Main content starts here, tab to start navigating

     Seventy-five years ago, a group of Washingtonians purchased over 200 acres of forested land on the banks of Broad Creek, a natural harbor off the Pamlico River in eastern North Carolina.  Their vison?   A club where friends and family could come together, dine together, enjoy a game of golf and keep their boats near the vast cruising grounds nearby.

a tree in the middle of the street                       

     That first club on the banks of Broad Creek was a large, white wooden structure with wide porches facing east to catch the prevailing south easterlies of summer.  It was a lively spot with fine dining, golf and a marina full of motor yachts, sailboats and run abouts. It was a place where kids learned to swim, couples to play golf and small boat sailing regattas were held each Sunday afternoon.  In short, the original WYCC was eastern North Carolina’s “River Club”, combining golf and friendships with all the adventure of the broad Pamlico River.

                      a body of water in front of a house                                         

     The original wooden clubhouse burned in the late 60’s, but was soon replaced by a more substantial modernist brick and glass club designed to overlook the marina to the east and the course to the west.  The golf course itself was expanded and sharpened to it’s now 18 championship-caliber challenging holes. A new Olympic-sized pool, tennis and pickle ball courts, more docks and three different dining areas provide a modern feel to the acreage those families purchased in 1948.

                                      

     Our vision for the club remains just a clear today was 75-years ago.  The Washington Yacht and Country Club is where friends and family come together, dine together, play together and celebrate the river together.   It’s where young families find new friends and old friends find the comfort of a club that is truly their own.  

     The Washington Yacht and Country Club.  You’re welcome.  Since 1948.